Case study: An electrical emergency

THE PROJECT

We were called out to the Yorkshire Museum, one of York’s finest Georgian buildings in the York Museum Gardens, for what seemed to be an electrical emergency. Emergency lights were flashing and there was a smell of burning coming from inside the plant room.

OUR EXPERTISE

At Electric City, we offer an emergency service where we aim to be with you within 24 hours of your breakdown so that you can be up and running quickly and with minimum disruption to your businesses and clients. Often we arrive quicker depending on the circumstances; please tell us what the problem is and we will take action within an appropriate time frame.

We also provide a free no obligation quotation for all recommended work, or a full electrical condition report on the whole premises to give you a complete picture – please see our Electrical Report page here.

As was the case in our call-out to the Yorkshire Museum, not all electrical faults are obvious, and sometimes the first thing you notice is a burning smell or some sparking. If this happens, take great care and try to switch off the main socket. If you’re in any doubt or are worried, give Electric City a call on freephone 0800 0345 240 and one of our electricians would be happy to advise you.

Our team members are trained to become masters at their trade. To become an industrial electrician takes dedication to education and completing an apprenticeship before they are fully fledged to get a job.

Our fully qualified, registered and insured electricians can test and maintain your business’s electrical system, keeping the risk of an electrical emergency to a minimum. They are able to work with a variety of businesses and organisation across many different sectors. Breakdowns can be very inconvenient and detrimental to your business, but using the services of an experienced electrician can help save you time and money. At Electric City, we carry out electrical testing, including PAT and fixed wire testing, and maintenance to ensure your business remains safe and compliant. All our work is certified upon completion to ensure it meets the British safety standard BS7671.

THE SOLUTION

During our investigation at the Yorkshire Museum, we discovered the isolator which is used to operate the lights had burnt out on the switch terminals.

We were able to move the cables to a spare switch, and left the museum fully functioning and safely open to the public.

Posted on: